When you are expecting, so much time and thought is put into preparing for the sweet baby. From getting the nursery ready, scouring the internet of reviews for the “best” of every product, and registering for and buying all things baby (usually more than you would ever need); women tend to forget about themselves and what they will need once the baby arrives.
How do I know? Because I’m so guilty of this.
Since having my second baby just a few weeks ago, I thought I might share what I’ve found useful so far so that you can avoid the same mistake. Hopefully, this will help some of you, whether you are having your first baby or your fourth.
- Good house shoes – having had a baby in the winter, these are my #1 must have. The past three weeks, I have only left the house a few times, so good house shoes are imperative.
- Paper plates – who wants to worry about dishes?! This is something I didn’t think to do the first time around that has saved me so much time this time. It’s pretty freeing just throwing your plate in the trash when you’re done eating! I know, it’s the little things..
- Cute pajamas – you will have lots of visitors and you may not necessarily have time to actually get dressed. Having on cute pj’s will cover the fact that your hair isn’t washed and you haven’t brushed your teeth yet (or that’s what I tell myself). If you have a vaginal birth, you’ll want pants that are lose fitting, and if you have a c-section, you’ll want pants with a high and fitted waist (I’ve given birth both ways).
- A good breast pump – if you plan to breastfeed, it is good to go ahead and have a pump on hand. You never know how soon you’ll need it! With my first, I hardly pumped at all, and now with my second, I have been exclusively pumping since day three. It’s good to be prepared….
- A hands-free pumping bra – this is a game changer! Pumping is long, hard work…so make it a little bit easier and get yourself one of these if you plan to pump at all. That way you can easily scroll Instagram, or read NWAMB articles, whichever.
- Sitz Bath Spray – I had a VBAC this time around and I found this golden nugget of life-saving spray at Target. Trust me, and just have this on hand….
- Chocolate, and maybe a glass of wine…no explanation needed.
- Tinted moisturizer and mascara – even if you don’t have time for a full face of make-up, having these two products will cover a multitude of missed hours of sleep and make you feel a little more human.
- A good friend – you will need someone you can text your craziness too and won’t hold the craziness against you. Might I suggest that it preferably besomeone who has “been there.” There are a lot of extreme emotions the first few weeks, and it helps to have someone besides your spouse to spill to. If you don’t have a friend like that, message me!
- Lots of grace – you will go through so many changes after having a baby (and all through parenthood, really) so give yourself lots of grace and have patience.
There are many other things that could be added to the list, but those are my top 10 for now! If you have something you couldn’t have lived without those first few weeks, please share. We all love our babies and give them so much of ourselves, don’t forget to take care of and love yourself, too!