Dear Sweet, loving and kind husband, Valentine’s Day is upon us. So, just in case you are at a loss for great gifts for me this V-Day, I have some ideas for you. Any one of these, to me, is better than a box of chocolates and a dozen roses. Those gifts mentioned are always appreciated, of course, but let me steer you in the direction that goes straight to my heart.
- A clean sink in the morning. This little gift of love requires you to do the dishes the night before, load the dishwasher, unload it and leave no dishes in the sink, or on the counter near the sink. None on bed side tables or on coffee tables-any surface really. This will give me such joy in the morning, you would not even believe it.
- Send me to a hotel by myself. No children, no you. Sorry, not sorry. Mama needs a break. It doesn’t need to be a fancy spot, just give me four walls in a room of darkness all to myself for 24 hours. I will come back a new woman, I promise.
- If you just can’t help yourself and really want to do flowers, choose an orchid. It doesn’t have to come from the florist, they have them at the grocery now. To me, this blooming baby is much better than cut roses. It will last. Like our love.
- One day during the week, you dress the kids, feed them and get them off to school. I lay in bed. This is quite the gift. To get the most bang for your buck out of this fabulous gift, pretend like I am sick and you cannot come in my room for fear of catching something really bad. I watch the today show from beginning to end without interruption and then, I feel up to date on pop culture and current events. Score!
- A gift card to my favorite coffee shop. This may sound boring, but to me, it makes my day a little extra special to get a latte. Plus, this is the gift that keeps giving, so when I duck in or drive through for my coffee fix I can enjoy a large and not think twice about the costs. This is a sweet one. Plus, when I am caffeinated, I am a better mom and wife, so really, this is a win-win.
- Match all the socks in the house and toss any that don’t match. I highly doubt you’ll choose this one, but I would be eternally grateful.
My dear husband, you actually do many of these things often, even when it is not a holiday, and I thank you for it. I love you for it. But, I am still serious about this list. This is the go-to-list for you this year, save it for birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas. This is the way to this tired Mama’s heart. Hugs and kisses.