Living in Northwest Arkansas, I would say we are very fortunate to have some pretty amazing non-profits at work in our community. All of these non-profits work very hard to secure funding for the work they do, but still have to rely on donations from people like you and me to be able to continue to make an impact in the lives of so many that need it. If you aren’t currently involved with a non-profit in some way, I really encourage you to find one that meshes well with your personal interests/talents/passions, and get connected.
The Tuesday after Thanksgiving is now commonly known as Giving Tuesday, a nationwide effort to create a national day of giving at the start of the holiday season. As we approach the “season of giving,” let’s not forget about our local non-profits. Below, I’ve included a handful that are participating in #GivingTuesday this year, so read up and find one to connect with!
Single Parent Scholarship Fund of NWA
There are two simple ways you can participate:
- This year Single Parent Scolarship Fund is partnering with Chipotle on College/Millsap in Fayetteville. Stop by and say you would like to support Single Parent Scholarship Fund of NWA and 50% of the sales will go toward Spring scholarships. Post a photo with your friends/co-workers/family on Instagram and/or Facebook and use their official hashtag: #BetterBrighterNWA in order to be entered in the drawing.
- Simply visit their website and make a donation. Gifts of ANY amount are welcome and appreciated. You can also learn more about how their students use their scholarships by visiting our Giving Tuesday page.
All proceeds will be directed toward scholarships for determined single parent families. Visit their website at spsfnwa.org to learn MORE about #GivingTuesday and how YOU can help!
Susan G. Komen Ozark Affiliate
The Komen Ozark Affiliate raises awareness and funds to support the PROMISE of saving lives, and ending breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Since its inception in 1998, Komen Ozark has awarded nearly $10 million to local organizations to provide breast health services to uninsured and underinsured in the 10 county service area. In addition to the nearly $10 million funded locally, Komen Ozark has invested over $3million in the Komen National Research and Awards program in search of finding a cure.
TEAMWorks is a volunteer organization made up of occupational, physical, and speech therapists from Children’s Therapy TEAM in Fayetteville, Arkansas. TEAMWorks seeks to improve and enhance the lives of children with special needs both locally and internationally. TEAMWorks has three divisions: TEAMWorks International, Team Talent, and Heroes for Kids. To find out more about each division, visit their website, or to donate, visit here.
Children’s Safety Center
Mission: The Children’s Safety Center of Washington County empowers children to overcome abuse and begin to trust, hope, and heal.
Every year, hundreds of children in Northwest Arkansas are robbed of their dreams, their self-esteem and their childhood by physical and sexual abuse.
In 2015 alone, the Children’s Safety Center:
- Provided services to 546 children
- Conducted 479 forensic interviews
- Provided 132 forensic medical exams
- Provided on-site therapy for 131 children
- Conducted a total of 1,180 therapy sessions
On average, it costs more than $1,600 for each child the CSC serves. All of the services at the CSC are provided free of charge.
By donating to the Children’s Safety Center on #GivingTuesday, your gift stays local and provides hope, help and healing to child abuse victims. The CSC team has fun with promoting #GivingTuesday by being unselfish and creating #Unselfie signs and posting on social media. They whole family can get involved! To learn more or to donate, visit here.
Arkansas Support Network
Arkansas Support Network is a non-profit that serves individuals and families with children with developmental disabilities. They serve over 1500 people in Arkansas from birth through adulthood. They are committed to the concept of equal access to supports, services, and community resources for all citizens.
All donations obtained on #GivingTuesday will go to support the Kids Club Summer Camp program. Kids Club is a 9 week summer camp, free of charge, for kids with developmental disabilities. They receive no federal or state funding for this program, and rely solely on fundraising. You can learn more about the different programs ASN offers, and donate here.
Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter
- $5 a month could provide 42 meals for 2 kids at the Children’s Shelter.
- $15 a month could provide 6 new outfits for 1 kid at the Children’s Shelter
- $25 a month could provide cooking classes for 12 kids at the Children’s Shelter
- $42 a month could provide school supplies for 5 kids at the Children’s Shelter
- $60 a month could provide 7 birthday parties throughout the year for kids at the Children’s Shelter.
- $100 a month could provide 1 week of on-site education for Pre-K – 12th grade.
These are just a few of the fantastic organizations in our area, and there is definitely a way for you and your family to get involved, no matter what your interest or talent! Share a little time, love, or funding this season! No gift is too small.