I just added a third baby to my crazy tribe and here are the few things that I have learned in my almost 8 months of being a mom of three.
- You’ll never have quiet again. It is always loud. Always. If the big kids aren’t playing loudly, watching a show loudly or playing loud video games then they’re singing and dancing loudly to get the baby to laugh and smile. If you’re trying to do quiet things with the big kids the baby will jump loudly in his bouncer or play with the annoying “A-B-C-D sinnnnng with meeeee toy”. Or he’ll cry. The one caveat is that the baby can sleep through Armageddon. So there’s that.
- You’ll never sleep again. Sleep when the baby sleeps, right? HA! That’s hilarious. During morning nap I’m cleaning, doing dishes, finding the missing legos or doing school with my oldest. During afternoon nap I try to workout and shower… or nap. And don’t get me started on night time. He goes to bed EARLY but my big kids do not so we are doing baths, and stories and I’m packing lunches… and trying to spend some one-on-one time with my husband before I pass out on the couch at 8:30 PM. Which leads me to…
- Getting the baby on a schedule is impossible. I could go into the ins and outs. I’ve read the books. I did the sleep training with my other two. But with #3 we just go with the flow- we don’t really have a choice- because our schedule is different every single day which means putting the baby on a schedule is nearly impossible. Sometimes he sleeps with me, sometimes I let him eat at 4 AM…
- You’re now feeding an army. Move over Wal-Mart. I now need Sam’s club. STAT. I made the mistake of ordering ONE pizza and breadsticks a few weeks ago… and was very disappointed when I went to get mine and it was ALL gone. WHAT?
- You can’t peacefully go out in public. They outnumber you. Going anywhere with the three of them alone is less than fun. They no longer all fit in the cart. Don’t get me wrong, they will have a blast running up and down the aisles and throwing things in the cart. And then when you get home you’ll notice you ended up with 4 bags of gummy worms that you’ve never seen before and that you hope you paid for… or at least that’s what I’m told by a friend.
- You’ll never go anywhere alone. It’s fairly easy to get rid of #1 and #2. I never took them with me to appointments and stuff. I try to do all of that when they’re in school. But add a third baby and suddenly its much harder to get alone time. He goes with me to hair appointments, the gyno, school meetings, you name it!
- You and hubby will
fightcompromise on who takes which child where. We’ve been known to play rock paper scissors and divide and conquer on splitting the kids to run errands, etc… and depending on where we are going or what we are doing there’s always a child you’d rather not take.
- Someone always has to poop. Usually when you’re in the car. Which reminds me, there is currently a dirty diaper in the back of my Odyssey. Mental note to deal with that asap or getting in the van tomorrow AM is going to be NO bueno.
- Forget DIY. Things I used with my other children- cloth diapers, homemade baby wipes and baby food, cart covers, um, socks… are a distant after thought with the third baby. And don’t get me started on baby books. My first born has a book, my second born has a box… and the third… has Instagram.
- You appreciate every moment and milestone SO much. Now that I have older kids, every day with my baby is something I enjoy and soak up. He’s just started sitting up and trying to crawl. My husband and I stood and watched him put puffs in his mouth for the first time the other day. You feel like you’ve gone back in time and you’re okay with the sleepless nights and the loud noise because you know it won’t last forever. Basically being a third time mom is the best thing ever!