Tis the Season, the holidays are now winding down and our pants are… well, tight. If you’re 8 months pregnant like me, even the stretchiest of pants are especially tight in the midsection, but that’s another story for another day.
I am not a fan of New Years Resolutions when it comes to weight loss and being healthy. I think it’s something we should strive to do most of the time, with some room here and there for special occasions. So I threw together a quick little guide to some EASY ways we can have a healthy 2017.
- Drink WATER. When you’re adequately hydrated, your body functions so much more efficiently. It is recommended that you drink half of your body weight in ounces of water a day. So if you weight 150 lbs. you should strive to drink 75 ounces of water. I find that if I have a cute water bottle to carry around I am more likely to keep it with me and hit this goal. Within a few days of drinking the right amount of water for YOUR body, you’ll most likely be sleeping better, have less muscle aches and headaches and cure a lot of your “bathroom” problems. So go find a cute bottle, and drink up!
- Get Active. This doesn’t have to be anything extravagant. Put on some tennis shoes and go for a walk with the kids. Play a game of basketball or a game of hide and seek chase. Take your kids to the pool and get in and swim WITH them. You don’t have to have a fancy gym membership these days to get a good workout in. There are many online options for workouts from home as well! Just 20-30 minutes of moderate exercise 3-5 times a week can make all the difference in your over all health!
- Eat Colorful Foods. And no I don’t mean Skittles and M’n’M’s. Eat more of the colorful foods that are that way when found in nature. Try to take advantage of the season and eat things in season and local to you, they taste so much better this way. I am sure many of us don’t get the recommended fruits and veggies we need in a day, so this year make it a priority to try new colorful foods and incorporate them into your daily life.
- Sleep. What? It’s almost 2017. Don’t you know that we are supposed to work all day and all night and… NO, just NO! You NEED to sleep. Strive for 7-8 hours of sleep every night. I wake up by 6 AM every morning so I strive to be in bed by 9:30. Granted, my little natural alarm clocks usually wake me up at 3 AM… and I am about to have a newborn, but I am SURE one day I will get enough sleep again, one day. Until then, there’s coffee.
- Read. Right up there with sleep, this is something that I strive to do that I know will happen again someday. Personal development, whether you’re religious and it’s reading your Bible or you want to be a better leader or mother, or you need help sleep training your kids. It’s important we are keeping our minds active. I love to read, but I am a human and a mom and my hours don’t always add up, so I’ve started listening to Podcasts and Audiobooks while I clean or cook or drive. It’s a good way to multitask and get the same information without having to have a quiet house, a cup of tea and a book in hand (one day, a girl can dream).
I hope you’ve gotten some good ideas and are looking forward to a healthy and happy 2017!